Gup Shup Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reference desk archive/Miscellaneous/January 2006

Go down

Reference desk archive/Miscellaneous/January 2006 Empty Reference desk archive/Miscellaneous/January 2006

Post  msistarted Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Books of Wisdom above 33 degrees?

There is a buzz around that some institution of higher learning has broken the seal of Solomon and has released a brand new book of Wisdom, revealing wisdom above 33° from Solomon's Temple? Any informaton on published data on the subject?

The ritual information revealed in Masonic and other organizations' rites is not actually from such places as Solomon's Temple. A glimpse at our articles on Solomon's temple and Freemasonry will make that clear. Given that, it is quite impossible for a university or research institution to have done what you talk about. My father, a lifelong Mason who recently did advanced work, is unaware of any new rituals above the (honorary) 33 degree in that organization. --George 22:03, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

[edit] Small Island

Does anybody know of any small inhabited islands roughly 3 by 8 miles beginning with A?

Try looking here List of islands. CambridgeBayWeather (Talk) 00:39, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

These look better List of islands by name and Islands (look for ones about 62km2 or 24 sq mi). CambridgeBayWeather (Talk) 00:48, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

[edit] Slippers

This is probably a strange place to ask, but I'm not sure where else to do so. I'm looking for a good pair of luxury ("designer") mens' slippers. Any tips? --Anon.

* Try here. It's Amazon.com's Mens Slippers, highest price first. Or here, a simple Google search. Happy New Year! Deltabeignet 05:23, 1 January 2006 (UTC)
o I've always been happy with the stuff from Woolrich and L.L. Bean. Dismas|(talk) 18:14, 1 January 2006 (UTC)
+ Try www.overstock.com - the stuff is great and the price is right.

[edit] Guns

--207.102.164.73 01:31, 1 January 2006 (UTC)marquisa@...t I am looking for information on the first gun ever built. It was called an arcabus (the spelling could be off)If anyone knows anything about this could they please let me know. Edit - removed email.

Try arquebus. alteripse 01:35, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

However, the earliest gun would be the Gonne, not the Arquebus GeeJo (t) (c) • 02:32, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

[edit] Collegeboard/ETS?

The articles for both Collegeboard and ETS state that they are indepedent entities, and that one "administers" the test while the other "develops" it or something ambiguous like that. What exactly is the distinction? -JianLi 16:22, 28 December 2005 (UTC)

It looks like Collegeboard set the exams, and ETS mark them (to a provided mark scheme). Morwen - Talk 16:25, 28 December 2005 (UTC)

[edit] Where did the hejab originate?

Try Hijab as it has information. CambridgeBayWeather (Talk) 04:38, 1 January 2006 (UTC)
[edit] Does Italy have "pictures" as symbols for different words

My boyfriend and i want to get matching tatoos. We are both Italian and think it would be fit to put love, trust and friendship. We would like to do it in symbols instead of words and i was hoping that maybe there is some sort of Italian symbol for each just as, for example, the Celtic symbol is the Celtic knot. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 67.76.84.227 (talk • contribs)

I don't believe Italy has such a thing. The closest I could think of would be writing it all in Latin. You could try looking for Ancient Roman symbology. (Also, the 'meanings' behind Celtic knotwork are relatively modern - we have no proof that they meant anything.) DuctapeDaredevil 21:12, 3 January 2006 (UTC)

[edit] jeezy and akon

about young jeezy and akon, are they related? well i came up with this question because jeezy(or akon i think) gave a hint on 106 and park about it so im wondering if its true.

this question might be more easily answered by people who have time to waste on such things...67.142.130.29 04:49, 4 January 2006 (UTC)
[edit] Unknown necklace symbol
What is this?

I found the following necklace among a big box of jumble. It came with a small insert saying "what it was and what it does" which I wished to parody on my blog (does anyone actually buy these things!?) but alas i threw the paper away. Does anyone know what this represents (if anything) - i'd much appreciate any help anyone can give Smile -Benbread 12:11, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

It's a rune, specifically a tiwaz. From [1]: "Tiwaz: (T: Tyr, the sky god.) Honor, justice, leadership and authority. Analysis, rationality. Knowing where one's true strengths lie. Willingness to self-sacrifice. Victory and success in any competition or in legal matters. Tiwaz Reversed or Merkstave: One's energy and creative flow are blocked. Mental paralysis, over-analysis, over-sacrifice, injustice, imbalance. Strife, war, conflict, failure in competition. Dwindling passion, difficulties in communication, and possibly separation." Natgoo 12:57, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Tyr was not the "sky god". He was the god of war. --BluePlatypus 16:16, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

The page linked to above could be clearer, granted - they need a semicolon between 'Tyr' and 'the sky god' instead of a comma. The Tyr article tells us that Tyr "goes back to a Proto-Germanic Tîwaz, continuing Proto-Indo-European Dyeus". Moving on to the Dyeus article, we read that "he was the god of the daylit sky" and "addressed as the Sky Father". According to these articles, then, Tiwaz is both Tyr and the sky god. Natgoo 16:40, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Ha! I should have read the Tyr article further - there is a whole section on this particular rune. Try the Tyr rune, Benbread. Natgoo 16:48, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Looks like an arrow to me. Kid Apathy 21:30, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Spot on, Kid. Without a frame of reference, it's a bit much to say categorically what it "is". JackofOz 00:02, 2 January 2006 (UTC)

some amrican skinheads use it as a symbol meaning "ANTI SEMITE" which of course means they hate jews. i saw it on a commercial too for above the influence. an anti drug campaign

[edit] Australian new years honours list.

Does anyone have a link to the Australian new year's honours list?

Is this: http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/ what you need? - Akamad 20:33, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

We don't do honours on New Year's Day, we do them on Australia Day and the Queen's Birthday. See Order of Australia. I think some military honours are also handed out on Anzac Day. --Robert Merkel 22:58, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

[edit] computer ram

if i buy a computer with 256mb ram can i upgrade it by buying a 512mb ram and putting it in?

If it's a newer computer it can probably handle it but without knowing the model number and manufacturer, there's no way of saying definitely whether or not it would work. Dismas|(talk) 15:33, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

You can with most PCs, but still check it out.

* What you want to check for is to make sure that you have an empty bank of RAM on the motherboard or that the RAM which comes with it can be removed. You might also want to check exactly what kind of RAM it takes and how available it is ahead of time, both to check if it is available (it probably is) and whether you will save much by scrimping. But generally speaking, yes, you can usually upgrade RAM separately on new computers and you can often save a lot of money by doing it through a 3rd party rather than buying your RAM direct from the computer distributor. --Fastfission 22:15, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

* Crucial's website has a service to check what is the right memory for most common computer systems. Try there first. If you computer is there it will tell you the kind of memory it can take and how much. - Taxman Talk 14:31, 2 January 2006 (UTC)

You more than likely can add RAM (memory to it) make sure it is the right speed of RAM, it has to match exactly. Most computers nowadays have about 512 RAM in them. RAM allows you to open more windows and do more options like also play a CD at the same time without slowing down your computer. 256 RAM isn't bad if you are just using your computer for e-mail and IMing. If you are doing something like gaming with heavy graphics or graphic engineering you would need at least 512 RAM, probably 1 GB (Gigabyte) for good performance. -Rod O-
[edit] commodities

What was the second most traded commodity in the world in 2004?

Not antimatter, if it's that expensive. Kid Apathy 22:23, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

According to this page ("After oil, coffee is the world’s most traded commodity") it's coffee. I'm a bit sceptical though - to begin with, the page doesn't say if it's counted in weight, volume or value. And even though oil seems reasonable as #1, there are many commodities that I personally use a lot more of (wheat for example, or water). And I live in the second-most coffe-drinking country in the world, Sweden! This page seems more reasonable to me, but they also, unfortunately, seem to have a totally differing definition of "commodity". So the answer, really, is "it depends", I guess. You'll get more possible sources if you google for "most traded" commodities world TERdON 00:22, 2 January 2006 (UTC)

For another older discussion on this see Talk:Coffee#Economic Aspects of Coffee. DirkvdM 18:46, 2 January 2006 (UTC)
[edit] Worth its weight in gold?

Just wondering... What is the most expensive thing in the world per unit mass? How much is it worth?--Fangz 20:15, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

I'm not sure by mass, but by volume, it is apparently printer ink. smurrayinchester(User), (Talk) 20:24, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Cecil Adams thinks it is (or was) californium-252. --zenohockey 20:30, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

I'd say antimatter, at about $2,000,000,000,000 per ounce. GeeJo (t) (c) • 20:34, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Antimatter, according to what Google turned up, costs "$62.5 trillion per gram". - Fredrik | tc 20:34, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Definitely antimatter, but you might also want to check Treskilling Yellow. ☢ Ҡieff⌇↯ 22:47, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

I guess it remains to make a Treskilling Yellow out of antimatter.--Fangz 00:18, 2 January 2006 (UTC)

Kids until you have grandchildren. Will always cost more money than you have but in the end are worth it.CambridgeBayWeather (Talk) 23:39, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

Children should be eaten and not heard. Which makes them more immediately useful than antimatter, I guess, but I still think it's more expensive. --George 19:21, 2 January 2006 (UTC)

Umm... cocaine is significantly more expensive than gold by volume. Approximately $60/gram retail, depending on your location.

Is Inkjet ink still more expensive than gold, or was that a myth? Ojw 01:00, 3 January 2006 (UTC)

Checking up, the RSPB claims that printer ink is actually just the most expensive liquid (more than champagne, oil or rocket fuel). Presumably molten gold is worth more than inkjet ink though. smurrayinchester(User), (Talk) 17:09, 3 January 2006 (UTC)

In spices, saffron is quite pricey, while in medications, epoetin is extremely expensive, especially when you discount the water and only consider the active ingredient. StuRat 22:29, 5 January 2006 (UTC)

Weighing in at 2,300,000 troy ounces (71,668 kg), each B-2 Bomber cost over $950.00 per troy ounce ($30/g) which is just under double its weight in gold. TomStar81 00:17, 7 January 2006 (UTC)

airbrush tattoo
cleaning service philadelphia

msistarted

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum