Google’s online library faces another hurdle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Google’s online library faces another hurdle

Post  Admin on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:37 am


Three technology heavyweights are joining a coalition to fight Google's attempt to create what could be the world's largest virtual library.Amazon, Microsoft and Yahoo will sign up to the Open Book Alliance being promoted by the Internet Archive. They oppose a legal settlement that could make Google the main source for many online works.The Internet Archive's founder Brewster Kahle opined that Google is trying to monopolise the library system, and if this deal goes ahead, they're making a real shot at being 'the' library and the only library.Back in 2008, the search giant reached an agreement with publishers and authors to settle two lawsuits that charged the company with copyright infringement for the unauthorised scanning of books. In that settlement, Google agreed to pay $125m (£76m) to create a Book Rights Registry, where authors and publishers could register works and receive compensation. Authors and publishers would get 70% from the sale of these books with Google keeping the remaining 30%.Google would also be given the right to digitise orphan works. These are works whose rights-holders are unknown, and are believed to make up an estimated 50-70% of books published after 1923.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 69
Join date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://lollywood.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum