Iranian citizens abroad

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Iranian citizens abroad

Post  kosovohp on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 am

Iran is a diverse country consisting of people of many religions and ethnic backgrounds cemented by the Persian culture.[175] The majority of the population speaks the Persian language, which is also the official language of the country, as well as other Iranian languages or dialects. Turkic languages and dialects (most importantly Azeri) are spoken in different areas in Iran. Additionally, Arabic is spoken in the southwestern parts of the country.

The exact ethnic breakdown of Iran is unknown as there are no official numbers, however some organizations have made estimates. The Library of Congress released the estimate: Persians (65%), Azeris (16 %), Kurds (7%), Lurs (6%), Arabs (2%), Baluchi (2%), Turkmens (1%), Turkic tribal groups such as the Qashqai (1%), and non-Iranian, non-Turkic groups such as Armenians, Assyrians, and Georgians (less than 1%). According to them Persian is spoken as a mother tongue by at least 65% of the population and as a second language by a large proportion of the remaining 35%.[176]

The CIA World Factbook estimates are as following: Persians (51%), Azeris (24%), Gilaki and Mazandarani (8%), Kurds (7%), Arabs (3%), Baluchi (2%), Lurs (2%), Turkmens (2%), Laks, Qashqai, Armenians, Persian Jews, Georgians, Assyrians, Circassians, Tats, Mandaeans, Gypsies, Brahuis, Hazara, Kazakhs and others (1%).[31] However according to them Persian and its dialects are spoken as first language by 58% while Azeri is spoken by 26%, Kurdish by 9%, Luri by 3%, Balochi by 1%, Arabic by 1% and that some 2% have other languages as first language.[31]
Iran religiosity
Religion Percent
Shia Islam

89%
Sunni Islam

9%
Other

2%

Iran's population increased dramatically during the latter half of the 20th century, reaching about 75 million by 2009.[177] According to the 1956 census the population of Iran was about 19 million.[178] In recent years, however, Iran's birth rate has dropped significantly. Studies project that Iran's rate of population growth will continue to slow until it stabilizes above 105 million by 2050.[179][180] More than two-thirds of the population is under the age of 30, and the literacy rate is 83%.[31] Women today compose more than half of the incoming classes for universities around the country and increasingly continue to play pivotal roles in society.

computer air card
auto trader

kosovohp

Posts : 307
Join date : 2010-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum